Form + Function Award
Winner - Food Truck Alley at Minneapolis–Saint Paul International Airport
- Owner: Midfield Concession Enterprise Inc., Romulus, Mich.
- Architect/Engineer: NORR, LLC, Detroit
- Contractor: Schreiber Mullaney, St. Paul, Minn.
- Food Trucks: Chameleon Concessions, Minneapolis
A reimagining of a traditional food court, Food Truck Alley offers three separate restaurants and a bar in a unified space. At just 3,805 square feet, the three restaurants share a single kitchen with three separate lines. Digital menu boards were placed on each truck, and a digital concierge helps customers navigate the experience. Our judges felt “they had a lot of challenges” they “cleverly” overcame. While “food trucks are so popular right now,” it was “unexpected” to have “a fun way to dine fast casual” in this kind of space. Finally, they noted that “nothing sells the idea of local better than a food truck.”
Images courtesy of Metropolitan Airports Commission
Honorable Mention - District Winery, Washington, D.C.
- Architect/Interior Designer: HapstakDemetriou+, Washington, D.C.
- General Contractor: Potomac Construction, Washington, D.C.
- MEP Consultant Engineers: MEP Designs, Manassas, Va.
- Structural Engineers: Rathgeber/Goss Associates, PC, Rockville, Md.
In addition to “meeting their challenges” in wine storage and aging, the design team did so in a “beautiful way,” according to the judges.
Images courtesy of Michael Moran
Honorable Mention - Town Hall Gurugram, India
- Owner: Town Hall, New Delhi, India
- Architect/Interior Designer: group DCA, New Delhi, India
- Contractor: DCA Workshop, New Delhi, India
- Lighting and Electrical: Design Matrix, Haryana, India
- HVAC: Vertex Consultants, Bengaluru, India
Our judges appreciated that “everything was hand-crafted” and like how the design centered the bar.
Images courtesy of André J. Fanthome