Best New Prototype
Winner - Tijuana Flats, Orlando, Fla.
- Architecture: Architectonics Studio, St. Petersburg, Fla.
- Designer: Hospitality Design & Development, Austin, Texas
- Contractor: Merritt Contracting Corporation, Orlando
The new Amped Up prototype is a unique version of the chain’s Flat Outrageous design. It showcases the chain’s Hot Sauce Bar and its colorful wall murals while also bringing in new elements, including a grab-and-go area. To help drive sales, the takeout area was highlighted with illuminated signage. Additionally, traffic flow was delineated via a strategic seating arrangement and a clearly defined queuing area that features square tube railings and banquette seating. Our judges thought the new prototype was “current and trendy,” that “they appear to have spent their budget very wisely” and they created a “young, hip approach.”
Images courtesy of Tijuana Flats
Honorable Mention - Pizza Hut, Shreveport, La.
- Concept Design Consultant: Big Red Rooster, Columbus, Ohio
- Architect of Record: The Dimension Group, Dallas
- Contractor: Southwestern Services, Fort Worth, Texas
Our judges noted the design team capably “overcame some significant challenges” in reimaging the chain’s full-service “red roof” design in this new, delivery-based prototype.
Images courtesy of Kevin Falconer
Honorable Mention - Panera Bread, Downers Grove, Ill.
- Architect/Designer: Aria Group, Oak Park, Ill.
- Structural Engineer:Eskenazi & Farrell Associates LLC, Chicago
- General Contractor: Novak Construction Inc., Chicago
The judges thought the “aesthetics” and “overall front of house design” was “very strong.”
Images courtesy of Tony Soluri