Best Limited-Service Restaurant Design
Winner - Gotham Market at the Ashland, Brooklyn, New York
- Owner/Contractor: Gotham Organization, New York City
- Architect: FXFOWLE Architects, New York City
- Designer: Jeffrey Beers International, New York City
- Hand-Blown Glass: Adam Holtzinger of KEEP, New York City
Gotham Market at The Ashland had to respect the cultural and historic neighborhood in which it resides and to harmonize eight distinct venues in one coherent space. Though it’s a new space, the design team wanted it to feel like it had always been there. A mix of exposed industrial materials and sophisticated touches impressed the judges. “They did a good job of using bold statement pieces” like the black steel pipe chandeliers that feature 180 hand-blown glass globes. “There are distinguishable elements to each place, but the space is still cohesive,” the judges said.
Images courtesy of Eric Laignel
Honorable Mention - On Rye, Washington, D.C.
- Architect/Interior Designer: HapstakDemetriou+, Washington, D.C.
- General Contractor: Potomac Construction, Washington, D.C.
- Kitchen Consultant: Next Step Design, Annapolis, Md.
- MEP Consultant Engineers: JB Wyble & Associates, Bethesda, Md.
The judges commended the design team for doing “a great job taking something we all know and refreshing it” with an “approachable” and “clean” design.
Images courtesy of Kate Warren