A roundup of interesting bits of news that came across the editor’s desk in the last month, including a bunch of international development deals, mergers and acquisitions and more.
mergers + acquisitions
- Multiconcept operator Dine Brands Global will add another restaurant chain to its portfolio by acquiring Fuzzy’s Taco Shop from Experiential Brands.
- The Larry H. Miller Company acquired a majority stake in Swig, a Utah-based drive-thru customizable beverage shop, from Savory Fund.
- Canadian restaurant franchisor Foodtastic will acquire Quesada Burritos & Tacos, a chain with more than 175 locations across 8 provinces. Quesada plans to open more than 50 locations over the next 36 months, per a company release.
- McDonald’s is the latest restaurant chain to experiment with a smaller restaurant format with an increased technology focus. The location, which is near Ft. Worth, Texas, allows for both on-premises and off-premises dining. The inside includes pickup shelves for orders. Outside includes parking spots for delivery drivers and users of curbside pickup.
- El Pollo Loco signed an eight restaurant franchise agreement to develop the Kansas City area, as well as other parts of Kansas and Missouri over the next 10 years.
- Jaws Jumbo Burgers, a movie-themed restaurant that pays tribute to the 1975 blockbuster movie Jaws is opening in Orlando, Florida in April 2023.
- Los Angeles-based hot chicken franchise Crimson Coward opened its newest restaurant in Frisco, TX.
- Viva Magenta is named Pantone’s Color of the Year
- Mediterranean chain Shawarma Press is on the verge of major growth thanks to a deal with Walmart