A roundup of interesting bits of news that came across the editor’s desk, including news on Del Taco, Dunkin’ Donuts, and Canada’s new Restaurant Bundle Check List.
- Waitr announced it has acquired $10 million in funding for its on-demand food delivery restaurant platform. This infusion of cash will accelerate Waitr's growth, as the company will more than double in size by the end of 2017 – bringing the number of cities served to more than 40 nationwide.
- The National BizPal Office, a unique collaboration among all levels of government in Canada, recently debuted its Restaurant Bundle Check List to provide new restaurateurs with a dashboard view of their compliance journey. Through the dashboard, users can keep tabs on required permits, inspections and licenses at each stage of processing. It keeps an up-to-date tally of wait times and potential costs as well. The sequencing feature shows users the best order in which to obtain permits and licenses, and allows them to share their progress with investors through a reporting tool.
go big or go home
- Del Taco announced plans to open both franchised and corporate locations throughout the Southeastern United States, with new unit developments in West Palm Beach County, Fla., Southern Georgia and the greater Atlanta area.
- Dunkin’ Donuts announced plans for 17 new restaurants throughout Alabama and Mississippi.
- Brazilian steakhouse chain Texas de Brazil Churrascaria opened a milestone 50th restaurant, this one in Sawgrass Mills Mall in Sunrise, Fla. The new 7,000-square-foot location seats more than 200 guests and features an open-view grill in the dining area, a wine wall, and a lounge.
- Soup and sandwich chain Zoup! opened its 100th unit, this one in its home state of Michigan.
mergers & acquisitions
- NPC International, Inc. acquired 62 Wendy’s units from Valenti Mid-Atlantic Management, LLC for $52.6 million, plus amounts for working capital. NPC also agreed to acquire six fee property locations from Valenti Mid-Atlantic Realty for $3.6 million. As part of the transaction, NPC plans to remodel certain acquired restaurants in Wendy’s new Image Activation format.