A roundup of interesting bits of news that came across the editor’s desk, including Tim Horton’s first foray into Mexico, Pie Five Pizza’s new milestone and more.
chain chain chain
- Arby’s announced expansion plans in Canada as well as 25 new locations over the next six years with a focus on Pennsylvania and New York.
- Del Taco opened two locations in California. They have three more planned for the Fresno area.
- Salata signed a 20-store agreement for the Atlanta market.
go big or go home
- Cinergy Entertainment Group announced a new eatertainment location will open in Edinburg, Texas. It will feature 18 bowling lanes, two full-service bars, a multi-level laser tag arena and 10 movie screens,, among many other features. It is planned to span 90,000 square feet.
- Pie Five Pizza celebrated the opening of its 100 restaurant—this one in Independence, Mo.
- Tim Hortons is expanding to Mexico via a master franchise agreement between Restaurant Brands International Inc. and a group of investors in Mexico. It’s the brand’s first foray into Latin America.
- Grits and Grids: Check me out on the Grits and Grids podcast. We talked about restaurant design, branding and more.
- Eater.comEater.com: How Restaurants Literally Stay Warm in Winter (an investigation into vestibules).
- NYT MagazineNYT Magazine: For the Love of Italy (its food and restaurant designs)
- CNBC: 4 lessons restaurants can learn from Starbucks recent mobile stumble