Yes, Instagram-worthy restrooms are now a thing — but that should come as no surprise. After all, restaurant guests today have a big appetite for recording and sharing images of just about anything that catches their fancy — even if it’s in the loo.
And while the consumer media typically keeps its focus squarely on food and front-of-house design, restrooms continue to generate significant buzz. Need proof — or maybe a little inspiration for your next restroom project? Here’s a sampling from a few recent, well-placed stories:
- “Floating somewhere between a utopian bath house and a museum display, the dimly lit room with substantial vessels we once knew as sinks offers a glorious backdrop for a moody post.” British Vogue, on the London Mandrake Hotel’s bathroom.
- “For the bathroom, which is unisex, that meant installing a 55-inch ‘selfie mirror’ in front of the sinks. The mirror also functions as a touchscreen. Tap it and a cartoon animation of owner Degel appears, goading you to pose for a photo. You can choose one to three frames on your photo strip, and the snaps are sent to your e-mail and printed in a slot (for free!) next to the sink.” New York Post, on Uncle Jack’s Meat House bathroom.
- “Juan Santa Cruz’s restaurant offers an individualized bathroom experience. Each stall — or room, rather — has its own unique De Gournay hand-painted wallpaper, so it might be worth freshening up more than a few times during your meal to see each one.” British Vogue, on the bathroom at Isabel restaurant in London.
- “The Vietnamese-influenced food and cocktails make this Southwest Detroit neighborhood spot a destination, but the restaurant’s bathrooms are also deserving of praise. Old fashioned projectors display a flipbook of photos on the restroom floor.” Eater Detroit, on Flowers of Vietnam’s bathrooms.
- “Everything about this restaurant screams Hollywood glam, and the bathroom is no different. From a velvet couch in the sitting area to large gold mirrors and a huge chandelier, take a break from your cocktail or house-made cacao e pepe to spend some time in the restroom.” People.com, on the ladies room at BLVD Chicago.
- “From their pink and blue flooring to their Cuban sandwich to their banana wallpaper in the bathroom, you’ll have an endless supply of photos after you visit.” People.com, on the bathroom at Media Noche in San Francisco.
Need more proof? Spend a few minutes on google, Instagram or Pinterest and you’ll get the idea. Restrooms can pack a big design punch and are a terrific place in which to exercise a little brand-appropriate creativity.
Just don’t forget that, while they can be fun and fabulous, restaurant restrooms and the finishes and equipment used within them, must be highly functional, easy to clean and maintain, nicely lit and ADA compliant. Without meeting those prerequisites, you could find guests taking photos for all the wrong reasons.
Retrofit-Ready Sensor Faucet
This T&S Brass’ sensor faucet is designed for 4-inch center-to-center, wall-mount installations. The redesigned mounting hardware of the EC-3105 allows operators to replace wall-mounted manual 2-hole faucets with sensor faucets without the need to alter existing hole configurations. The design works with standard restaurant plumbing configurations. The EC-3105 has a polished chrome-plated brass body and includes below-deck electronics and a variety of convenient features, including customizable timing settings and multiple power options.
Fully Integrated Hand Hygiene
The D|13 Sink System featuring the XLERATORsync Hand Dryer seamlessly integrates hand hygiene components. Fusing no-touch, high-efficiency fixtures on the sink deck, the unit facilitates a single process for washing, rinsing and drying hands. The design of the system’s basin and hand dryer allow them to work together. The system is also customizable in terms of aesthetic elements, installation options and additional features; trash receptacles and baby changing stations are available for incorporation.
Digitally Enhanced Faucet
VODXS, Visual OnDemand Experience Solutions, provides digital screens above hands-free water faucets. The units use sensor technology to deliver messaging and capture real-time, people-based analytics. Providing data on foot traffic, faucet usage and dwell time, VODXS sensors can verify restaurant staff members are practicing adequate hand-washing techniques. The system also delivers targeted on-screen messages to patrons while at the faucet, informing them of any promotions or specials, entertainment, and preferred food or drink options at the restaurant.
Multiple Footprints, Multiple Options
Available in seven different basin colors and five designs, the Sundara Handwashing System comes in single-, double- and triple-basin configurations. Seven sets of faucet and soap dispensers, available in multiple finishes, lend a coordinated appearance. The solid-surface material is scratch- and stain-resistant while maintaining cleanliness with a low-profile, no-splash design.
Zurn Industries LLC
Custom Sinks, Ready to Install
All Neo-Metro restroom sinks are made to order per specification and arrive complete and ready to install — no need for gluing or fabrication on-site, per the maker. Sink size, shape, color and thickness are fully customizable with plumbing fixtures hidden. The appearance is further enhanced with no visible wall-mount supports, allowing graphics, lighting and artwork to take center stage.
High-Speed, ADA-Compliant Dryer
World Dryer’s VERDEdri provides high-speed drying, hygiene and ADA compliance. The surface-mounted VERDEdri uses 950 watts of power and is equipped with a HEPA filtration system. The unit features a compact design and comes in a white, black or stainless steel finish.
Sleek, Modern Aesthetic
GRAFF’s Incanto Collection offers a sleek geometric shape. Within the portfolio, options include deck-mounted, wall-mounted and freestanding versions, and single-lever and three-hole styles. Projecting a modern aesthetic, the faucet’s base and spout connect without a break in material. The spout takes on a slim format, creating contrast between elements. Incanto is available in 14 finishes, including the new OR’osa PVD, Onyx PVD, Distressed Gunmetal (shown) and 24K Brushed Gold.