A roundup of interesting bits of news that came across the editor’s desk in the last month, including mergers, acquisitions, concept launches, chain news, brand milestones and more.
Mergers, acquisitions + more
- Greek from Greece (GFG) Bakery-Café and Fournos Theofilios merged under the GFG Bakery-Café
- P.F. Chang’s is launching its take-out only location in Chicago in February.
- Yum! Brands, Inc., parent company of KFC, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell, acquired The Habit Burger Grill for approximately $375 million. The Habit has over 270 restaurants across 13 states.
- NYC’s Café d’Avignon opened its first franchise location in Orlando.
- California Tortilla opened its first location in Kansas, in Wichita. It is the first of five planned locations in the state.
- Capriotti’s has inked agreements for 40 new stores across the Western U.S., with eight units coming to Arizona, eight to Idaho, four to Nevada and many more across California and neighboring states.
- Curry Up Now opened its first Southern California location, in Irvine.
- Dickey’s Barbecue Pit is opening in the Republic of Georgia. It’s the firth international location for the chain.
- QSR Stoner’s Pizza Joint opened its first Atlanta location.
- Bonchon, the chain known for its signature Korean double-fried chicken, has hit a major milestone with the opening of its one hundredth domestic restaurant, Bonchon in Pleasanton, Calif., in December.
- Huey Magoo’s Chicken Tenders announced its 100th franchise sold with its latest Florida expansion in January.
- Saladworks opened its 100th location on January 6 and is targeting major markets in Ohio for its next phase of growth.
- Roy Rogers launched an online store selling branded merchandise. On the menu at the store are moderately priced apparel and accessories ranging from T-shirts, sweatshirts and even an infant “onesie” to baseball caps, beanies, water bottles and branded cornhole boards.